Brian Collins and Mark Fogarty
Mark Fogarty is editorial director of the Mortgage Group for SourceMedia, New York City. He has been associated with the mortgage publications, which include National Mortgage News, Origination News, Mortgage Servicing News, Mortgage Technology, and related websites, since 1984. He also chairs SourceMedia’s industry conferences and webinars. He was the news director of the team that won the George Polk Award for Financial Journalism in 1988. A graduate of Rutgers University, he previously was a reporter for The Jersey Journal, Jersey City, NJ, and editor of The South Bergenite, Rutherford, NJ.
Brian Collins is the Washington Bureau Chief of National Mortgage News. He was hired by NMN’s founder Stan Strachan in 1988 to cover passage of the S&L bailout bill and continues to report on the evolution of the mortgage industry.
Recent Stories From this Author
Will Non-QM Loans Be Available This Year?
February 7, 2014 There are plenty of companies waiting for a secondary mortgage market to develop for these high-margin loans.
FHA Manual Underwriting May Not Be the Answer
January 31, 2014 FHA officials believe lenders will qualify more borrowers with sub-680 credit scores via manual underwriting, but there is...
Add RESPA to List of Things the CFPB Is Serious About
January 24, 2014 The case involved a lender leasing space in a bank office with the rental fee allegedly based on loan production.
The Rush to Purchase Mortgages May Turn Out to Be Premature
January 17, 2014 If wishes always come true, lots of mortgage lenders will be increasing their volumes of purchase mortgages this year. But Fed...
Lender-Paid or Borrower-Paid, That Is the Pressing Question
January 10, 2014 There ought to be some flexibility to allow negotiated loan fees. But in these highly regulated days, nothing is easy.
Low Holiday Production Could Be a Sign of Things to Come
January 3, 2014 Borrowers have been generally in a rush to refinance during the holidays. This year, there has been no such impetus.
Looser Credit Could Make 2014 a Very Good Year
December 27, 2013 The Federal Housing Administration is handcuffed but Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac’s new regulator is expected to favor broader...
Regs Could Prevent Builders From Raising Price on Homes
December 20, 2013 Companies like Lennar Corp. have seen an 18% jump in prices on their inventory this year.
FHA Sticking with High Premiums Even With Good Financial Report
December 13, 2013 The only relief might come from a deduction for first-timers if they get housing counseling.
Non QM Lending Poses Risks, but May Not Be All That Costly
December 6, 2013 The CFPB estimates litigation expense could be just 10 basis points per loan, or even lower.
- Integrated Disclosure Deadline Could Be Delayed, Top CFPB Official Says
- Pre-Approvals, Part Two: Yes, They Will Soon Be Worthless
- A Deal to Reinvent the Subprime Mortgage-Backed Security
- Servicers in DOJ's Crosshairs Following JPM Robo-Signing Settlement
- Wells Fargo to Cut 1,000 Mortgage Servicing Jobs
- Corporate Social Responsibility: NTC Sees Employee Morale and Company Growth through Local Community Volunteer Work
- Real Estate Investors Continue to Favor Flipping According to Latest Auction.com Real Estate Investor Activity Report
- Mortgage Industry Compliance: NTC Successfully Completes SSAE 16 (SOC 1) Type 2 Audit
- Auction.com Acquires Real Estate Technology Solutions Provider Channel, LLC
- Auction.com Appoints Lee Leslie as Executive Vice President and Chief Legal Officer