Editor at Large
National Mortgage News
Mark Fogarty is editor at large of the SourceMedia Mortgage Group. He has been associated with the mortgage publications, which include National Mortgage News, Origination News, Mortgage Servicing News, Mortgage Technology and related websites, since 1984. He also regularly chairs SourceMedia’s industry conferences and webinars.
He was the news director of the team that won the George Polk Award for Financial Journalism in 1988. A graduate of Rutgers University, he previously was a reporter for The Jersey Journal, Jersey City, N.J., and editor of The South Bergenite, Rutherford, N.J.
Recent Stories From this Author
Pensions Increase MBS Holdings Amid Attempts to Recoup Past Losses
January 21, 2015 The pension fund sector owns hundreds of billions of dollars of mortgage securities. But MBS holdings are such a small...
VA Loans to Gulf War Vets Surge As Agency Builds Market Share
January 16, 2015 Mortgages for Gulf War veterans have more than tripled since 2008, which along with a spirited outreach program and the...
Narrative of the 'Fog-a-Mirror Finance' Era May Need Reexamining
January 6, 2015 Mortgage denials in 2013 were comparable to those recorded a decade ago, analyses of HMDA data show, challenging perceptions...
People Outlook: Good Loan Officers Will Be in Demand
January 2, 2015 Mortgage employment slowly edged up this year, but will it continue to track the recent hiring boom in the national economy?...
Curt Culver Plans to Keep His Plate Full After MGIC Retirement
December 22, 2014 Curt Culver has got a lot to keep him busy after he steps down as Mortgage Guaranty Insurance Corp.'s CEO, including serving...
End of the Servicing Behemoth Era? Not Quite
December 12, 2014 Despite the mounting charge from burgeoning nonbank servicers, three large banks still control the majority of the servicing...
One Risk Factor Common to All Financial Crises: Fraud
December 3, 2014 From Biblical times to the present, fraud has been the key factor in all financial crises. But there is one financial...
Housing Survey Results Shed Light on Lender Opportunities
November 26, 2014 The Census Bureau/HUD American Housing Survey isn't just a great source of factoids about the country's housing stock; it's...
Will the Republican-Controlled Congress Advance GSE Reform?
November 11, 2014 Industry observers have mixed reactions on whether next year's Republican-controlled Congress will finally address...
The CFPB's Mini-C Guidance is a Roadmap to Avoid Red Flags
November 10, 2014 The Consumer Financial Protection Bureau will be scrutinizing the new cadres of mini-correspondent lenders to make sure they...
- Appraiser Shortage Could Gum Up the Works at Mortgage Lenders
- Cash-Strapped Servicers Fill Gaps by Borrowing Against Their MSRs
- Vendors Flood Market with HOA Super-Lien Services
- Congress Urges CFPB to Delay Enforcement of New Mortgage Disclosures
- End Fannie and Freddie's Free Ride on Government Credit
- Real Estate Investors Continue to Favor Flipping - by a Narrowing Margin - According to Latest Auction.com Real Estate Investor Activity Report
- Black Knight's March Mortgage Monitor: Negative Equity Population Shrinks to Just Over 4 Million; 77 Percent of Borrowers in Foreclosure Are Underwater
- Auction.com Names Former LinkedIn and Yahoo! Engineer as Senior Director of Engineering
- Black Knight Financial Services' "First Look" at March Mortgage Data: Delinquency Rate Sees Largest Monthly Drop in Nine Years
- Auction.com Releases Q1 2015 Investor Activity Report