Washington Bureau Chief
Rob Blackwell is the Washington Bureau Chief for American Banker. He has covered the financial services arena for more than a decade, working first as a reporter covering the GSEs, the banking regulators, and anti-money laundering, among other topics, and later as an editor during the worst crisis since the Great Depression.
He helped American Banker win a Jesse H. Neal Award for its coverage of deposit insurance reform, and has appeared on BBC, CNBC and C-SPAN as an expert on regulatory policy. His Twitter handle is @ABWashBureau.
Recent Stories From this Author
Four Takeaways from JPMorgan’s $13B Mortgage Settlement
October 21, 2013 The record settlement has significant implications for the financial industry, but they may not be what casual observers expect.
Four Predictions About the Future of Housing Finance Reform
September 26, 2013 Forecasting the future of Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac is always a tricky business.
New QRM Plan Has Many Exceptions to Water It Down
September 4, 2013 The risk retention requirement was supposed to ensure lenders had "skin in the game" when making mortgages.
Ethics Charge Against CFPB Vet Raj Date Is Weak
August 6, 2013 Ethics concerns raised by House lawmakers about Raj Date, the former No. 2 at the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau who...
Chair's Opening Remarks
July 1, 2013 …
GSE Reform: Can It Actually Happen?
July 1, 2013 Momentum has been slowly but steadily building around a possible bipartisan housing finance reform package. But can lawmakers...
CFPB Unveils Exam Guidance for Mortgage Rules
June 4, 2013 The Consumer Financial Protection Bureau released exam guidance that details how it plans to enforce its recently released...
Senate Banking to Probe Role of Promontory, Outside Consultants
April 5, 2013 A Senate Banking subcommittee will examine the role of independent consultants in the financial services industry, including...
Five Takeaways from GAO's Tough Criticism of Independent Foreclosure Reviews
April 4, 2013 The independent foreclosure review process was disorganized, ineffective and inconsistent, according to a draft report by the...
FAQ: What the GSE MBS Platform Means for Reform
March 6, 2013 The Federal Housing Finance Agency continues to implement significant changes to the structure of Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac...
- Ginnie Mae Nixes Bank of America Mortgage Servicing Transfer
- Lending Drops to 17-Year Low as Rates Curb Borrowing
- Ellie Mae's New Explanation for Outage Only Raises More Questions
- In Purchase Market, Focus Shifts to Products and Customer Service
- Mortgage Originations Could Drop to Lowest Level in 14 Years
- DocMagic: Delivering 99.999% Uptime Has Positive Impact on Lender Clients
- Nationwide Title Clearing (NTC) Comments on Newly Enacted Mortgage Rules, Expects Market-Driven Effect on Company Practices
- Interthinx: Jumbo Loans Present Much Higher Fraud Risk in Recent Quarter
- Rushmore Loan Management Services Announces Approval as a Freddie Mac Seller/Servicer Company Also Receives Positive Rating from S&P
- DocMagic and Veri-Tax Deploy Automated IRS Tax Transcript Retrieval Tool for Lenders