For a long time now, Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac have been a favorite punching bag of many members of Congress. Yes, the two GSEs blew a huge hole in the Treasury but within five years (if they are left alone) it’s feasible that their debt will be paid back through earnings. All the cash the two are likely to take in the next five years will NOT be going to common shareholders and ‘retained earnings.’ It will be going into the coffers of Uncle Sam. And suddenly, Congress is starting to realize this very important fact: Fannie and Freddie are a source of government revenue. And all that money can be used for other things besides housing – like a pending immigration bill. (See the story on today’s National Mortgage News website.) Immigration? We kid you not.
Congress to Fannie/Freddie: We Love You, Really
NOV 29, 2012 12:35pm ET
You must be registered to post a comment. Click here to register.
Already registered? Log in here
- Capsilon Announces Growth Investment from Francisco Partners
- Wells Fargo Approves Hybrid eClosings on Pavasos Digital Close Platform
- Arbor Bank Selects Pavaso Digital Close Platform
- DocMagic Announces eQC Automated Due Diligence Solution for Investors and Correspondent Lenders
- Simplifile Signs On 22 Additional Counties in Midwest, West Coast regions