How can a depository go wrong on this mathematical equation: Originate jumbo balloon loans at 4% and fund them with deposits that cost (say) 75 basis points. It’s seven-year paper. The profit margins are nothing short of huge. The borrowers (hopefully) are well heeled ‘rich folk’ with equity or sizeable downpayments. The only thing you have to worry about is a spike in short-term rates (highly unlikely) or that banking regulators might crack down on balloon mortgages (which is possible.) So, when will this jumbo ‘Carry Trade’ nirvana end? Answer: If I were that smart I’d be trading jumbo MBS for a living.
How Long Will the Jumbo Carry Trade Last?
NOV 19, 2012 12:21pm ET
You must be registered to post a comment. Click here to register.
Already registered? Log in here
- Capsilon Survey Reveals 70 Percent of Lenders Expect Mortgage Loan Production Costs to Rise in 2017
- Simplifiles Nationwide E-recording Network Achieves Record 1,500 Participating Counties
- Simplifile Reports Continued Expansion of E-Recording Infrastructure, Electronic Document Submission in Q3 2016
- First American Mortgage Solutions Invests In Helping Lenders And Servicers Achieve Sustainable Quality And Growth
- First American Mortgage Solutions launches Vendor Management Suite to aid with Lender compliance requirement