Another press release has arrived in my inbox, declaring a new low for mortgage rates. My initial response is: who cares! I don’t mean to sound like a jaded mortgage columnist, but the untold story on rates boils down to this: how come continued low rates have not caused home purchases to really boom? Well, I guess we already know the answer: a crummy employment picture (though it’s improving) and mortgages underwriting standards that are tighter than guitar strings. But one of these days – and maybe soon – a new class of nonprime lender may emerge to fund loans outside of the GSEs and FHA. How do I know this? There is thunder on the horizon…
New Low for Mortgage Rates. So What!
DEC 22, 2011 2:25pm ET
You must be registered to post a comment. Click here to register.
Already registered? Log in here
- IDS Updates Borrower Data Collection Fields, Supports MISMO v 3.4 for HMDA Compliance
- LenderLive to Assume PHHs Private Label Mortgage Operations in Jacksonville
- Simplifile E-recording Network Gains 43 New Counties in South, Midwest
- First American Mortgage Solutions Debuts Cleanfile Solutions To Help Lenders Perfect And Complete Collateral Files
- Simplifile Integrates Collaboration, Post Closing Services with LendingQB