What was that old criticism about Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac (pre-conservatorship) – that their risk was “public” but their profits were private? Well, guess what? Their risk is still public – but their profits are too. Freddie earned $5.6 billion in 3Q, Fannie $2.6 billion. Annualized, that translates into $32.8 billion – money that will go straight into the Treasury’s coffers. But let’s not forget about their little sister, Ginnie Mae, which earned $606 million in fiscal year 2012. And it all started under a Republican president George W. Bush and continued under a Democrat who never ran a business in his life, except for maybe a lemonade stand when he was a kid in Hawaii.
Uncle Sam, the Most Profitable Mortgage Banker in America?
NOV 15, 2012 12:33pm ET
- Property Reports Made EasyNationwide Title Clearing, Inc. Revamps Website, Online Ordering Available
- Old Republic Credit Services Announces New Product That Brings Consumer Credit Verification To A New Level Borrower Verification Report
- IDS Sees Significant Mortgage Document E-sign Adoption Among Customers in 2013
- Nationwide Title Clearing (NTC) Comments on Newly Enacted Mortgage Rules, Expects Market-Driven Effect on Company Practices
- Interthinx: Jumbo Loans Present Much Higher Fraud Risk in Recent Quarter