TCF Financial took $44 million in charges to rid itself of mortgages made before the housing collapse. A distressed-asset investor purchased more than $400 million in loans from the company, and another pool of bad mortgages may be marked for sale soon.
Banks have made progress cutting their exposure to risky home equity lines of credit, ahead of a key 10-year threshold when billions of dollars of them will reset to higher monthly payments. But there are some prominent exceptions, especially among regional banks.
Payments to Philadelphia's city treasury and utilities, from mortgage foreclosures and delinquent tax, gas and water bills, surged to $58.3 million last year, a 40% jump from $34.4 million in 2013.
Regulatory attention is supposed to be laser-focused on servicers right now, especially when it comes to how consistent they are in applying workouts. So regulators should be looking closely at whether loans have forbearance.
From Our Blogs
»Default Industry Standards Would Be Beneficial
»Debt Collection Law Warped by New Breed of Suits
»Are Servicers Ready for the Next Wave of Defaults?
»Foreclosures Are Making Americans Sick
»Low-Down-Payment Mortgages Will Again Contribute to Rising REO
»Hard Money Lenders Fear Overreach
»How Auctioning Troubled Mortgages Can Boost the Housing Recovery
»Expect Foreclosures and REO to Increase as QE Ends
»The Unvarnished Truth About Rising REO Volume
»Why the Single-Family Rental Securitization Trend May Last
- JPM, Wells Loan Officers Got Kickbacks from Title Firm, CFPB Says
- Hope of FHA Refi Boom Grows on Eve of Premium Cut
- What a New Measure of Mortgage Denials Reveals About Credit Access
- FHFA Threatens Suits as Nevada Grapples with 'Super' Liens
- Senate Passes Tax Bill That Includes Key Mortgage Deductions
- Auction.com Introduces National Hospitality Division
- 2015 Existing Home Sales Expected to Pick Up Where 2014 Left Off, According to Auction.com Real Estate Nowcast
- Auction.com iPad App Used by Bidder to Buy Best Western Hotel for $2.2 Million
- Statement from Auction.com Research Topic: Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) December Employment Situation
- Inlanta Mortgage Opens New Illinois Branch Office